Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 51.djvu/241
(1893). Selwyn College, Cambridge, was erected by subscription in memory of Bishop Selwyn, and was incorporated by royal charter on 13 Sept. 1882. The bishop's portrait by George Richmond, R.A., belongs to St. John's College, Cambridge.
Besides numerous sermons, letters, and charges, Selwyn was the author of: # ‘Are Cathedral Institutions useless? A Practical Answer to this Question, addressed to W. E. Gladstone, Esq., M.P.,’ 1838; written in answer to an inquiry from Mr. Gladstone.
- ‘Sermons preached chiefly in the Church of St. John the Baptist, New Windsor,’ privately circulated, 1842.
- ‘Letters to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel from the Bishop of New Zealand, with extracts from his Visitation Journals;’ printed in the society's series entitled ‘Church in the Colonies,’ Nos. 4, 7, 8, 12 and 20.
- ‘A Verbal Analysis of the Holy Bible, intended to facilitate the Translation of the Holy Scriptures into Foreign Languages,’ 1855.
[In Memoriam: a Sketch of the Life of the Right Rev. George Augustus Selwyn, by Mrs. G. H. Curteis, 2nd ed. 1879; Memoir of the Life and Episcopate of George Augustus Selwyn, D.D., by the Rev. H. W. Tucker, 2 vols. 1879; Bishop Selwyn of New Zealand and of Lichfield: a Sketch of his Life and Work, with some further Gleanings from his Letters, Sermons, and Speeches, by G. H. Curteis, 1889; Rusden's New Zealand; Hist. MSS. Comm. 15th Rep. App. vi.; Times, 12 April 1878.]
SELWYN, WILLIAM (1775–1855), legal author, second son of William Selwyn, K.C. (who was treasurer of Lincoln's Inn in 1793), by Frances Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. John Dod of Woodford, Essex. George Augustus Selwyn [q. v.], the wit, was his father's first cousin. Born in 1775, William was educated at Eton and St. John's and Trinity Colleges, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1797, being first chancellor's medallist in classics, and senior optime in the mathematical tripos, and proceeded M.A. in 1800. At Lincoln's Inn, where he was admitted a student in 1797, he was called to the bar on 24 Nov. 1807, and elected treasurer in 1840. He went the western circuit, was recorder of Portsmouth from 1819 to 1829, and took silk in Trinity vacation 1827. Soon after the marriage of Queen Victoria he was chosen to assist the prince consort in his legal studies. In later life he became a chronic valetudinarian, and lived in retirement at Pagoda House, Kew Road, Richmond, Surrey, an estate inherited from his father in 1817. He died on 25 July 1855, while on a visit to Tunbridge Wells, being buried in the neighbouring churchyard of Rusthall.
Selwyn married, in 1801, Lætitia Frances (d. 1842), youngest daughter of Thomas Kynaston of Witham, Essex, by whom he left issue three sons—viz. (1) William Selwyn (1806-1875) (1806–1875) [q. v.]; (2) George Augustus Selwyn (1808–1878) (1808–1878) [q. v.], primate of New Zealand and bishop of Lichfield; (3) Sir Charles Jasper [q. v.]—and two daughters, viz. (1) Lætitia Frances, and (2) Frances Elizabeth, wife of George Peacock [q. v.], dean of Ely.
Selwyn collaborated with George Maule in the production of ‘Reports of Cases argued and determined in the Court of King's Bench,’ London, 1814, 2 vols. 8vo. He was author of ‘Abridgment of the Law of Nisi Prius,’ 3 successive parts, London, 1806–8, 8vo, a work of great merit, of which the latest 13th edit., by David Keane, Q.C., and Charles T. Smith, judge of the Cape of Good Hope, appeared in 1869, London, 2 vols. 8vo.
[Bigland's Gloucestershire, ii. 201; Rudder's Gloucestershire, p. 542; Cambridge Calendar, 1798; Gent. Mag. 1855, ii. 320; Tucker's Life of G. A. Selwyn, D.D.; Brayley and Britton's Surrey, iii. 108; Grey's Early Years of the Prince Consort, p. 361; Haydn's Book of Dignities.]
SELWYN, WILLIAM (1806–1875), divine, eldest son of William Selwyn (1775-1855) [q. v.], was born in 1806. George Augustus Selwyn (1809–1878) and Sir Charles Jasper Selwyn [q. v.] were his brothers. He was educated under Keate at Eton, where his name appears in upper school fifth form in 1823 (Stapylton, Eton School Lists, 1864, p. 113a). He entered St. John's College, Cambridge, in October 1824. In the following three years in succession he gained Sir William Browne's medal for a Greek ode, and in 1826 carried off all the Browne medals. In the same year he was Craven scholar. He graduated in 1828 as sixth wrangler (being one of the Johnian ‘seven stars’), and also senior classic and first chancellor's medallist. His subsequent degrees were M.A. in 1831, B.D. in 1850, D.D. in 1864.
In March 1829 he was made a fellow of St. John's, in succession to the younger Herschel, and in the same year gained the Norrisian prize. He was ordained deacon by the bishop of Ely in 1829, and priest by the bishop of Rochester in 1831. In 1831 he was presented by the Duke of Rutland to the rectory of Branstone, Leicestershire, which he exchanged in 1846 for the vicarage of Melbourne, Cambridgeshire, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Ely. He held