[Charnock's Biogr. Nav. v. 605; Naval Chronicle (with a portrait after Dance), xxiii. 441; Gent. Mag. 1798, ii. 909; Commission and Warrant Books and official letters in the Public Record Office,]
cember 1748 he was appointed to the Queenborough, and in March 1749 to the Unicorn. In October 1754 he was appointed to the Seaford, from which, in March 1755, he was moved to the Warwick of sixty guns, going out to the West Indies, where, near Martinique on 11 March 1756, she fell in with a French 74-gun ship and two frigates, which overpowered and captured her. War had not then been declared, but hostilities had been going on for several months, as Shuldham very well knew, and the story that he mistook the enemy's ships of war for merchantmen would be but little to his credit if there was any reason to suppose it true. he, with the crew of the Warwick, was sent to France, kept a prisoner at large at Poitiers for nearly two years, and returned to England in a cartel on 10 March 1758. A courtmartial acquitted him of all blame for the loss of the ship, and on 25 July 1758 he was appointed to the Panther, in which he joined Commodore Moore in the West Indies and took part in the reduction of Guadeloupe and its dependent islands, March to May 1750 [see Moore, Sir John, 1718-1779]. In July he was moved by Moore into the Raisonnable, which was lost on a reef of rocks at Fort Royal off Martinique as she was standing in to engage a battery on 8 Jan. 1762, when the island was attacked and reduced by Rear-admiral Rodney. In April Rodney appointed Shuldham to the Marlborough, from which a few days later he was moved by Sir George Pocock to the Rochester, and again by Rodney after a few weeks to the Foudroyant, in which he returned to England at the peace. In December 1766 he was appointed to the Cornwall guardship at Plymouth, and in November 1770 to the Royal Oak, then commissioned in consequence of the expected rupture with Spain. On 14 Feb. 1772 he was appointed commodore and commander-in-chief on the Newfoundland station, which office he held for three years, and on 31 March 1775 he was promoted to be rear-admiral of the white. At the general election in the following autumn he was returned to the House of Commons as member for Fowey, and on 29 Sept. was appointed commander-in-chief on the coast of North America from the river St. Lawrence to Cape Florida. He went out with his flag in the 50-gun ship Chatham, arriving at Boston on 30 Dec. after a passage of sixty-one days, having been promoted, on 7 Dec. while on the way out, to be vice-admiral of the blue. His work was limited to covering the operations of the troops, and preventing the colonial trade. In June 1776 he was superseded by Lord Howe, and on 31 July was created a peer of Ireland by the title of Baron Shuldham. Early in 1777 he returned to England, and from 1778 to 1783 was port-admiral at Plymouth. He was promoted on 24 Sept. 1787 to be admiral of the blue, and on 1 Feb. 1793 to be admiral of the white. He died at Lisbon in the autumn of 1798. He left no issue, and the title became extinct.
SHUTE or SHUTTE, CHRISTOPHER (d. 1626), controversial writer, matriculated as a sizar of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, in November 1561, and graduated B.A. in 1564-1565, M.A. in 1568, and B.D. in 1580. In 1576 he was appointed by the queen vicar of Giggleswick in Yorkshire, perhaps through the influence of George Clifford, third earl of Cumberland [q. v.] He was nominated on 24 Nov. 1599 a member of the commission for the suppression of schism within the province of York (Rymer, Fœdera, xvi. 387). He died at Giggleswick in 1626, leaving five sons — Nathaniel, Josias [q. v.], Robert, Thomas, and Timothy — who were all ordained ministers of the English church. Nathaniel, who was educated at Christ's College, Cambridge, was well known as a preacher; on 24 Feb. 1613-14 he became rector of St. Mary Mores, London, and on 30 March 1618 he was transferred to St. Mildred, Poultry, where he died in 1638 (Newcourt, Repertorium, i. 404, 502; Lloyd, Memoires, 1668, p. 295).
The elder Shute was the author of: 1. 'A Compendious Forme and Summe of Christian Doctrine, called the Testimonie of a True Faith, meete for well disposed Families,' London, 1577 and 1579, under the initials C. S.; republished with Shutte's name on the title-page, 1581, 8vo, and in 1584, when it was dedicated to 'George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland.' 2. 'A verie Godlie and necessary Sermon preached before the yong Countesse of Cumberland in the North, the 24 of November 1577. By Christopher Shutt. Imprinted at London by Christopher Barker.' It is not improbable that Shutte was also the author of 'A Brief Resolution of a right Religion. Written by C. S.,' London, 1590; a work directed against Roman Catholicism, much in the same strain as the 'Testimony of a True Faith.'[Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. ii. 285; Whitaker's History of Craven, pp. 166, 168, 169; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert, p. 1115; Cat. of Early Printed Books in the British Museum; Bodleian Cat.]