[Gent. Mag. 1849, ii. 543; Robinson's Register of Merchant Taylors' School, ii. 149.]
charge of the wounded, and was the last English officer to leave the shore. In 1816 he was appointed inspector-general of hospitals, succeeding his friend James Borland [q. v.] in the Mediterranean station. He retired from the regular service in 1820. He acted for many years as vice-president of the Army Medical Benevolent Society for Orphans, and as trustee of the Society for the Widows of Medical Officers. In 1843, in recognition of his services, a silver vase was presented him by his brother officers and friends. He died on 6 Oct. 1849 at his house on the Marine Parade, Brighton, and was buried in the family vault at South Warnborough, Hampshire, where his brother, Thomas Alston Warren, was rector. In 1800 he married Amelia, daughter of the Chevalier Ruspini. She survived him, leaving an only daughter.
WARREN, JOSEPH (1804–1881), musician, was born in London on 20 March 1804. He first studied the violin, afterwards the pianoforte and organ under J. Stone. At an early age he conducted a society of amateurs, for whom he wrote two symphonies and many other vocal and instrumental pieces (Fétis, Biographie Universelle des Musiciens). In 1843 he was appointed organist of St. Mary's Roman catholic church, Chelsea; several masses and smaller works were composed for and performed at the services, but remain in manuscript. Some pianoforte pieces of Warren's were published. In 1840 he entered into relations with the firm of Cocks & Co., and edited or arranged a large quantity of music for them, including a collection of chants, thirty of Bach's choral-harmonisings (1842), a ‘Chorister's Handbook’ (1856), and very many arrangements for the pianoforte and the concertina. Warren also wrote a number of useful short treatises upon composition, orchestral writing, organ-playing, and madrigal-singing, and a method for the concertina which was very successful. He took an active part in the revival of early English music which distinguished the Oxford movement, and in November 1843 projected a new edition of Boyce's ‘Cathedral Music,’ which was published in 1849. As an antiquary Warren was far more accurate and trustworthy than Edward Francis Rimbault [q. v.]; and the two, once intimate friends, became estranged, and sneered in their prefaces at each other's publications. Late in life Warren fell into poverty; his valuable library, which included some of the most important early English manuscripts, was parted with piece by piece. Finally he became paralysed, and was saved from destitution by Mr. W. H. Cummings. He died at Bexley on 8 March 1881. Warren is remembered by his splendid edition of Boyce, which is far more valuable than the original; he added a complete organ accompaniment, and inserted extra services by Creyghton and Tomkins, movements from services by Blow, Child, and Aldrich, Parsons's ‘Burial Service’ from Low's ‘Short Directions for the performance of Cathedrall Service’ (1661), anthems by Gibbons, Byrd, Blow, Tallis, and Tomkins, with some chants, and the symphonies to the anthems by Pelham Humfrey and Blow. A life of Boyce and lives of the composers represented are prefixed; and the accuracy, discrimination, and taste shown in the editing have always been warmly praised by English and foreign critics. Warren, in conjunction with John Bishop of Cheltenham, also began in 1848 to issue a similar selection of Early Italian, German, and Flemish music for the catholic church, under the title of ‘Repertorium Musicæ Antiquæ,’ but only two parts appeared. They were equally good models of editing, as was also the collection of Hilton's ‘Fa-las’ (London, 1844, fol.), which Warren edited for the Musical Antiquarian Society.[Grove's Dict. of Music and Musicians, iv. 383; Musical Times, February 1898; Warren's Works and prefaces to publications.]
WARREN, LEMUEL (1770–1833), major-general, born in 1770, entered the army as an ensign in the 17th foot on 7 March 1787, obtained his lieutenancy in the regiment on 27 Oct. 1788, and was for some time on board Lord Hood's fleet, in which the regiment served as marines. On 12 June 1793 he raised an independent company of foot, of which he was appointed captain; but on 2 Jan. following exchanged to the 27th (Inniskillings), then forming part of Lord Moira's army encamped at Southampton. He served with the regiment in Flanders in 1794–6 under the Duke of York; and was present at the siege of Nimeguen, the sortie of 6 Nov., and commanded the advanced picquet of the garrison. He accompanied the force under Lord Cathcart sent to attack the French army at Bommel, and was present at the action of Geldermalsen in January 1796.
He embarked with the 27th Inniskillings for the West Indies in September 1796, and commanded the grenadiers of the regiment at the storming of the enemy's advanced posts at Morne Fortuné, St. Lucia; at the con-