���they continued to reside as long as William lived, and where his widow still resides ; at his father's death, he purchased the interests of his brothers and sisters in the old homestead and became the owner of the same. This is one of the best fixrms in that section of country : the soil is highly fertile, it is well watered, well timbered and well improved ; there is no better spring of water in the county than the one on this farm. Mr. Wigton was an excellent farmer and never failed to have good crops when there were any in his section of country. Mr. and Mrs. Wigton were the par- ents of ten children, seven sons and three daughters ; two of the daughters died in infancy ; James Frank- lin, their second son lived to become a man of great promise. In order to assist his mother in paying her indebtedness, he left home and engaged labor in the oil regions, where he was suddenly stricken with disease, and cut off in the prime of life and the vigor of early manhood. William Wigton was an active and ener- getic member of Sturges lodge No. 327, I. 0. 0. F., for many years prior to his death ; he attained to the highest position in the lodge, and was highly esteemed and respected by all its members. He united with the Luthei'an Church at St. Johns, a short time before his death ; early in the winter of 1867, he was attacked with typhoid pnumonia, from which he partially re- covered, when a fever sore set in, which eventually con- sumed the bone in one of his thighs ; he lingered till spring, enduring in the mean-while, pain the most in- tense and agony the most intolerable ; he departed this life May 27, 1868 ; he was buried in the St. Johns Cem- etery ; his deceased children were buried here also. Mrs. Wigton being thus thrown ypon her own resources, with a large family of small children to support and edu- cate, proved herself equal to the emergency; her husband was considerably in debt when he died, but by persever- ing industry, economy and careful management, on the part of herself and elder children, she was enabled in a few years to liquidate the entire debt. She has also been able to clothe and educate her large family in a very creditable manner ; in this she was very materially as- sisted by her children themselves, having been trained from infancy to habits of industry and morality by their parents. Mrs. Wigton has for several years been a member of the Lutheran Church.
WOLF, ADAM (deceased); he was born in Beaver Co., Penn., Dec. 16, 1760; served in the Continental army during the war of the Revolution. He was mar- ried to Miss Rachel Oldham, of his native county, Jan. 16, 1790, by whom he had ten children, four sons and six daughters — Mary, born in Beaver Co. Nov. 21, 1790; Easter, Feb. 5, 1793; John, Aug. 16, 1794; Robert, Jan. 31. 1796; William 0., Dec. 21, 1797; Elizabeth, Nov. 4, 1799; Joseph, Nov. 26, 1801 ; Re- becca, Sept. 19, 1804; Asenath, Aug. 28, 1806, and Rachel, April 29, 1809. Mary married Hiram White- cotten April 10, 1816; John, Margaret Baughman Aug. 0, 1825; Robert, Rachel Shiver Jan. 13, 1825; Eliza- beth, John Clark May 31, 1827; Rachel, Charles Young Jan. 15, 1829; William 0., Sarah Kent Sept. 10, 1829; Rebecca, David Baughman July 15, 1832; Asenath, Jacob Ridenour Nov. 8, 1832, and Joseph, Sarah Mech- lem Dec. 1, 1846. Ruth Ann Whitecotten, daughter ojf Hiram and Mary v\ hitecotten, was married to Joel
��Smith Oct. 8, 1835. Adam Wolf removed to Richland Co. in 1816, and entered the southeast quarter of Sec. 26, in Monroe Township. His farm, at the time he took possession of it, was a frowning forest ; he and his sons soon transformed it into fruitful fields. He continued to reside on this farm as long as he lived. He and his wife were both zealous members of the Baptist Church for many years. His wife died April 19, 1836 ; he departed this life April 24, 1845. They were both buried at Newville.
WOLFE, JOHN, Jr., farmer; P. 0. Lucas. John Wolfe, Sr., was born in the State of Pennsylvania Aug. 13, 1794 ; he was a school teacher in early life, but he was by occupation a farmer ; in the spring of 1816, he came to the State of Ohio with his father, Adam Wolfe. The Wolfes entered a quarter-section of land where Gould Tucker now lives. John was married to Mar- garet Baughman in 1825 ; they were the parents of ten children. Mr. Wolfe bought 160 acres of land near Pinhook, for f200, which he cleared and cultivated. His wife died on July 19, 1850. Mr. Wolfe was mar- ried to Mrs. Ann Force on March 23, 1854 ; his second wife had six children by her first husband, Mathew Force, and two sons by her second marriage — Perry and John Wolfe. Mrs. Ann Wolfe was a daughter of William Hunter. Mr. Wolfe died Feb. 22, 1876 ; his widow still resides on the old homestead ; she is 08 years of age, being born Aug. 13, 1811 ; her daughter, Elizabeth, and her two youngest sons live with her, and care for her as her advancing years demand. John Wolfe, Sr., served in the war of 1812. Abraham and Solomon Wolfe and Oscar and .James Force served in the late war. James died at Milliken's Bend and Solo- mon after he had started for home ; the others came home safe.
WOLFE, SARAH, widow ; P. 0. Perryville. Joseph Wolfe, her husband, was born in Beaver Co., Penn., Nov. 26, 1801 ; he was the youngest son of Adam and Rachel Wolfe. When Joseph was 15 years old, his father removed, with his family, to Richland Co.; when about 16, he was thrown from a horse, which injured one of his thighs to such an extent as to make him a cripple for life; owing to this accident, he doubtless received a better education than he otherwise would have done;- he qualified himself for a teacher, which profession he followed many years ; he taught the first term of school in what is now known as Subdistrict No. 5, in Monroe Township ; he taught ten terms of one year each, and several shorter terms ; as a teacher, he met with very good success. Some years prior to the death of his father, he purchased the north half of the old home- stead ; about the year 1842, he sold this farm to his brother-in-law, Charles Young ; he then went to "Slis- souri, where he purchased 200 acres of land ; return- ing in about a year, he traded with Mr. Young and got his first farm back again ; shortly after his father's death, he again traded with Mr. Young for his Mis- souri land; in 1846, he traded his Missouri land to David Baughman for a portion of Sec. 27, in this town- ship ; besides what has been enumerated, he pur- chased various other tracts of land in the township, and owned, at the time of his decease, 180 acres in Sec. 27. Sept. 1, 1846, he was married to Miss Sarah Mecklem, daughter of Samuel and Rachel Mecklem, of