tion from a charter of K. Edward, A.D. 1044, (Cod. Dipl. IV, 80,) whence it appears probable, that a church existed in this place at the above date.
357. Worth or Word.—A chapelry to Eastry, to which it is annexed together with Skrinkling chapel. (Hasted.) See Eastry.
358. Wrotham.—In the reign of K. Edward III a vicarage was constituted here, and confirmed by Archb. Tho. Arundel, A.D. 1402, from which period the rectory became a sinecure impropriate under lease from the archbishop till 1715, when, the lease expiring, Archb. Tenison refused to renew, and conferred both preferments together, in which manner they have been held ever since. (Hasted.) The church comprises chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, late Perp. vestry on the northern side of the chancel, and square west tower. This church is spacious, but very plain. The piers and arches between the nave and aisles are E.E.; the tower arch lofty Perp., the windows are, some Dec., some Perp., some bad modern work. The building has been much patched with brick. The tower may have been partially rebuilt; originally it had a stair turret, but the upper part has been repaired with brick. Harris mentions sixteen stalls in Wrotham church.
Brasses: Tho. Nysell, wife and ten children, 1498; Tho. Peckham, wife and five children, 1512 (noticed in Monum. Brasses, 89); Reynold Peckham, and wife, 1533; another, the inscription concealed by a pew; a woman; John Burgoyn; (loose) John Sundressh, rector, 1426. (Reg. Roff.) South of the church stands an old mansion, constructed of brick with stone dressings. The archbishops formerly had a palace here, east of the churchyard; most of it was pulled down after 1348, and the materials used in Maidstone palace by Archb. Islip; the site &c. were conveyed by exchange to K. Henry VIII. A park at Wrotham, about half a mile south-east from the church, was disparked when Lambarde wrote, A.D. 1570. Wrotham Place was called Nyssels from the name of the owners. (Hasted, II, 236, fol. 1790.) The park at Wrotham is mentioned in (Val. Eccl.)
359. Wye.—Lambarde asserts, that in British this name signifies "an egg."—"The abbot of St. Martin's of the place of the battle holds the manor, which is called Wi—there is a church. Abbas Sancti Martini de Loco belli tenet manerium quod vocatur Wi, quod T. R. E. et modo se defendit pro vii