33 George III. Cap. 95, Royal Assent 28th March, 1193.
This canal, though limited in its extent, is amongst the first of such as may be adduced in proof of the advantages attendant upon inland navigation. The act for the formation of it is entitled, 'An Act for making and maintaining a navigable Canal from the Glamorganshire Canal, to or near the village of Aberdare, in the county of Glamorgan, and for making and maintaining a Railway or Stone Road, from thence to or near Abernaut, in the parish of Cadoxtone-Juxta-Neath, in the said county.' By this act the company were empowered to raise £2,500, in shares of £100 each, and a further sum of £11,000 was in like manner to be raised, should the expenditure on the works require it.
The Aberdare is connected with the Glamorganshire Canal, at a short distance from the aqueduct, conveying the latter over the River Taff. Its course from the Glamorganshire Canal is along the western side of the Cynon Valley, nearly parallel to the river of that name, and having passed Aberrammon it terminates at Ynys Cynon, about three quarters of a mile from Aberdare, the village from which it derives its name, being from commencement to termination about six miles and a half in length. At the head of the canal near Aberdare there is a railroad, two miles long, to the Llwydcoed Furnaces, from which branches extend to Godleys and Abernaut Furnaces.
The canal is nearly level, to the distance of four miles from its commencement; in the remaining two miles and a half, to its head or termination, there is a rise of 40 feet. The country through which it passes abounds in iron, coal and lime; numerous furnaces and mines are in its immediate vicinity, for the export of the pro duce of which it was originally undertaken, and which purpose it completely answers, to the evident advantage of the adjoining property.