288 Southern Jlistork-ttl #ocieti/ Papers.
Graf ton, over the Fitterman pike it is eighteen miles to Graf ton. All of these roads were made by the State of Virginia prior to the year of 1861, under what was known as the "internal improvement system of Virginia/' and were broad, well-graded turnpikes.
The State troops that were included in Governor Letcher's order to rendezvous at Grafton were known as the "Provisional Army," and this title had been acquired by the fact that Vir- ginia, through her convention, had adopted conditionally the "Provisional Constitution" of the seceded States. The following is a list of the companies and their captains that were ordered to Grafton, and were in the Philippi route or retreat:
One company of cavalry from Greenbrier county, under Capt. Robert Moorman.
Two companies from Pocahontas county one company of cavalry, under Capt. Andrew McNeil, and one company of in- fantry, under Capt. Daniel Stofer.
One company of cavalry from Bath county, under Capt. Arch Richards.
One company of cavalry from Rockbridge county, Capt. John Rice McNutt.
One company of cavalry from Augusta county, under Capt Frank Sterrett.
One company of infantry, under Capt. Felix Hull, from
Two companies of infantry from Pendleton county one under Captain Anderson and the other under Captain Moorman.
Two companies from Barbour county one under Captain Reger and the other under a Captain Strums.
One company from Upshur county, under Captain Hig- ginbotham.
And all other volunteer forces as far west as the city of Wheeling were required to report at Grafton, but the diaries show that probably not more than half of the companies that have been enumerated did reach Grafton. The record shows that a few hundred of Colonel Porterfield's forces did reach Grafton from the 25th to the 28th days of May, when a report came from Ohio of this big army of McClellan's coming on the