There was a problem when proofreading this page.
PATRIOTISM AND DEMOCRACY
|'||Lord, Guard and Guide the Men Who Fly 149|
(QUEBEC. L. M.)
|Mary C. D. Hamilton,1915||Henry Baker,1852|
- Lord,guard and guide the men who fly
Thro' the great spaces of the sky;
Be with them traversing the air
In darkening storms or sunshine fair.
- Thou who doth keep with tender might
The balanced birds in all their flight,
Thou of the tempered winds, be near,
That, having thee, they know no fear.
- Control their minds with instinct fit
What time, adventuring, they quit
The firm security of land;
Grant steadfast eye and skillful hand.
- Aloft in solitudes of space,
Uphold them with thy saving grace.
O God,protect the men that fly
Thro'lonely ways beneath the sky. Amen.
|O Lord of Hosts, Almighty King||150|
- O Lord of hosts, Almighty King
Behold the sacrifice we bring :
To every arm thy strength impart ;
Thy Spirit shed through every heart.
- Wake in our breasts the living fires,
The holy faith that warmed our sires ;
Thy hand hath made our nation free ;
To die for her is serving thee.
- Be thou a pillared flame to show
The midnight snare, the silent foe ;
And when the battle thunders loud,
Still guide us in its moving cloud.
- God of all nations, Sovereign Lord,
In thy dread Name we draw the sword,
We lift the starry flag on high
That fills with light our stormy sky.
- From treason's rent, from murder's stain,
Guard thou its folds till peace shall reign,
Till fort and field, till shore and sea,
Join our loud anthem,—Praise to thee.
Oliver Wendell Holmes. 1861