This page has been validated.
|Abide with Me! Fast Falls the Eventide||9|
|Henry F. Lyte, 1847||William H. Monk, 1861|
- Abide with me! fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail,and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!
- Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys growdim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!
- I need thy presence ever passing hour;
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who like thyself my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!
- I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness:
Where is death's sting? where, grave thy
I triumph still if thou abide with me!
- Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes,
shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies:
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain
In life and death, O Lord abide with me!