family encumbrances, he emigrated to Australia, arriving in Melbourne in 1864. He at once embarked in pastoral pursuits at Teremia station, near Corowa, N.S.W., and after further commercial and pastoral experience in New South Wales and Victoria was elected to the Assembly for Delatite as a Liberal and moderate Protectionist, and still represents that constituency. He is a J.P. for the colonies of New South Wales and Victoria. Having seconded the vote of want of confidence in the Berry Government in 1881, he was, on Sir Bryan O'Loghlen's accession to power in July of that year, appointed Commissioner of Trade and Customs, and held office till March 1883.
Gray, His Honour Moses Wilson, was the son of the late John Gray, of Claremorris, county Mayo, Ireland, and Elizabeth his wife, only child of George Wilson, and was brother of the late Sir John Gray, one of the proprietors of the Dublin Freeman's Journal. He was a barrister, and emigrated to Victoria in 1856, where he took an active part in the solution of the land question on liberal lines, and was one of the founders of the Victoria Land League, under whose auspices was summoned a great assemblage of delegates from all parts of Victoria to discuss the land question with a view to promoting the settlement of a farming population on the public estate. The Land Convention, as it was called, met in Melbourne in 1857, and condemned the abortive Haines Land Bill then passing through the Lower House. Mr. Wilson Gray was elected the president of the Convention, which also passed resolutions in favour of manhood suffrage, equal electoral districts, abolition of property qualification, and payment of representatives. He was M.L.A. for Rodney 1860 to 1862, when he went to Otago, New Zealand, where he died a district court judge April 4th, 1875.
Gray, Robert John, Railway Commissioner, Queensland, was born at Port Macquarie, N.S.W., in 1840, and was appointed chief clerk in the office of the Colonial Secretary of Queensland in 1866, and in 1870 Immigration Agent. He became Under Colonial Secretary on the retirement of Mr. F. C. Rawlins in 1880, a position he retained until July 1889, when he was appointed one of the Commissioners of Management of Queensland Railways.
Greeves, Hon. Augustus Frederick Adolphus, was one of the first medical men who arrived in Melbourne, of which city he was Mayor in 1849-50. He for some time edited the Port Phillip Gazette, the first regular newspaper published in Melbourne, and was subsequently editor of the Melbourne Morning Herald. He sat in the old single chamber Parliament, and was one of the Select Committee which in 1853-4 drafted the present Constitution of Victoria. He was returned to the first Legislative Assembly of Victoria in 1856 for East Bourke. When the first O'Shanassy Ministry was formed, in April 1857, Dr. Greeves accepted office as Commissioner of Trade and Customs, but failed to secure re-election. The Ministry retired the next month. Dr. Greeves died in Melbourne on May 23rd, 1874.Gregory, Hon. Augustus Charles, C.M.G., M.L.C., J.P., son of the late J. Gregory, lieutenant 78th Highlanders, who emigrated to Western Australia, was born in Nottinghamshire in 1819, and educated privately in England and Australia. He arrived in Western Australia in 1829, entered the Civil Service of that colony in 1841, and from 1846 to 1859 was actively engaged in exploration work on the Australian continent. In the first-mentioned year Mr. Gregory, with his brothers Charles and Frank (q.v.), started into the interior from Bolgart Spring; but were stopped in their progress eastward by an immense salt lake, which compelled them to turn north-west, where they discovered some fine seams of coal, in the limestone country at the mouth of the Arrowsmith. They were forty-seven days absent, and traversed a thousand miles. In 1848 Mr. Gregory was despatched northwards to explore the Gascoyne River, and succeeded in reaching a point three hundred and fifty miles north of Perth, the result of the expedition being to disclose the pastoral wealth of the Murchison and Champion Bay districts. In 1855 Mr. Gregory undertook a third exploring expedition under the auspices of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Baron von Mueller being one of the party. The object was the dual one of exploring the interior and of searching for traces of the lost explorer