Page:The Dictionary of Australasian Biography.djvu/459
DICTIONARY OF AUSTRALASIAN BIOGRAPHY.
at Glenelg on Dec. 28th, 1836; appointed Acting Colonial Secretary August 22nd, 1837, on the suspension of Mr. Robert Gouger. Resigned July 13th, 1838; settled on his property at the Inman Valley, where he farmed for many years, subsequently removing to the neighbourhood of Adelaide. He married Miss Lavinia Albina Fowler, and died at Glenelg in 1859 without issue.
Strickland, Sir Edward, K.C.B., son of the late Gerard Edward Strickland (a cadet of the Stricklands of Sizergh), by Anne, daughter of Francis Cholmeley, of Brandsby Hall, Yorkshire. He was born at Loughglynn House, co. Roscommon, in 1821, and married, first in 1842, Georgina Frances, daughter of Frederick Augustus Hely, of Enghurst, Sydney, N.S.W., and secondly, in 1877, Frances Marie, only daughter of General Tatton Browne Greave, C.B., of Orde House, Northumberland. Having entered the Army, he was appointed Deputy-Assistant Commissary-General in 1840; Assistant Commissary-General in 1854; Deputy Commissary-General in 1861, and Commissary-General in 1880. The next year Sir Edward Strickland, who was created C.B. in 1857 and K.C.B. in 1879, retired from the army. He served in the Crimea during the first year of the war, including the battle of the Alma and the advance on Sebastopol, and was commissariat officer in charge of the British army of occupation in Greece from 1855 to 1857. He was also engaged in the New Zealand war from 1864 to 1866, and in South Africa from 1877 to 1879. After retiring from the army he came to reside in Sydney, and took a prominent part in the work of the Geographical Society of Australasia, of which he was vice-president, especially of the New South Wales branch, of which he was president. Sir Edward is stated to have been the first to suggest the despatch of the famous Soudan Contingent. He died on July 18th, 1889.
Strong, Rev. Charles, D.D., founder of the "Australian Church," Melbourne, is a native of Scotland, and studied under Principal Caird prior to receiving ordination as a minister of the Established Church of Scotland. On the death of the Rev. P. S. Menzies, one of the most popular of Melbourne preachers, Mr. Strong was chosen to succeed to the pastorate of the cathedral of Victorian Presbyterianism, the Scots Church, Collins Street, Melbourne. Very soon after his arrival the broadness of his religious views attracted the attention of the ultra-orthodox members of the Melbourne Presbytery, but no direct action was taken against him until he published an article on "The Atonement" in the Victorian Review. This paper caused considerable commotion in Presbyterian circles, and was made the basis of the first of a series of formal charges of heresy against Mr. Strong. The proceedings, originated in the Melbourne Presbytery and prolonged through a variety of stages in the General Assembly of the Church, lasted for several years, and were at length brought to a close by Mr. Strong's charge being declared vacant by the Assembly on Nov. 15th, 1883. He then returned to Scotland. Before leaving he was presented with a testimonial of £3,000, subscribed by all denominations in Melbourne as a token of sympathy and presented to him at the Town Hall on Nov. 14th; but Mr. Strong soon returned to the colony and established a new religious body under the title of "The Australian Church," largely composed of his old friends and adherents amongst the Scots Church congregation.Strong, Herbert Augustus, M. A., LL.D., formerly Professor of Classics at Melbourne University, son of Rev. Edmund Strong, of Exeter, was born in 1841, and educated at Winchester College under Dr. Moberly. He obtained the first place on the college roll by open competition, and proceeded to Corpus Christi College, Oxford, where he matriculated on Oct. 20th, 1860, and was exhibitioner in 1861-3. He was first class in Moderations in 1862, proxime accessit for the Gaisford Greek prize in 1863, B.A. in 1863, and M.A. in 1870. Private affairs obliged him to leave Oxford before presenting himself for final honours in "Greats." He was for six years Assistant Professor of Humanity at Glasgow University, and for thirteen years Professor of Classics at Melbourne University (M.A. 1874). The latter post he resigned in August 1884, and is now Professor of Latin at Liverpool University College, which is one of the three branches of the newly formed Victoria University. He has published "Specimens of Translations of Virgil and Catullus" (Maclehose,