Youl, Sir James Arndell, K.C.M.G., eldest son of the late Rev. John Youl, a Church of England clergyman—who after a missionary career in Tahiti, was appointed chaplain at Port Dalrymple, Tas., in 1819—was born in 1810. He spent a number of years in Tasmania, and on his return to England, where he has long resided, after a series of patient and very interesting experiments, succeeded in introducing salmon and trout into the rivers of that colony, and also made the first shipment of salmon ova to Otago, N.Z., for which he received a vote of thanks from the provincial government, accompanied by a handsome silver vase. He was political agent for Tasmania in 1861-3; was for seven years hon. secretary and treasurer to the Australian Association, which succeeded in prevailing on the Imperial Government to establish a mail service to Australia via the Red Sea, and in getting the Australian sovereign made legal tender throughout the British dominions. He was acting Agent-General for Tasmania from Feb. to Oct. 1888, when Mr. (now Sir) Edward Braddon arrived to take up the position. He was created C.M.G. in 1874, and K.C.M.G. on New Year's Day, 1891. Sir James married, first, in 1839, Eliza, daughter of William Cox, of Hobart Villa, New South Wales; and, secondly, in 1881, Charlotte, widow of William Robinson, of Caldicot House, Clapham Park.
Young, Adolphus William, was the son of John Adolphus Young, of Hare Hatch Lodge, Berks, where he was born in 1814. He practised in Sydney as a lawyer for some years, and was High Sheriff of New South Wales from 1842 to 1849. Mr. Young represented Port Phillip in the Legislative Council of New South Wales before Victoria was formed into a separate colony. On returning to England he was M.P. for Yarmouth from 1857 to 1859, and in 1865 was returned for Helston. Having been unseated in the following year, he was re-elected in Dec. 1868. In 1837 Mr. Young married Ann Eliza, daughter of Edward Smith, of Woodford Wells, who died in 1845. Two years later he married Jane, eldest daughter of Charles Throsby, of Throsby Park, N.S.W., and died in 1885.
Young, Sir Henry Edward Fox, C.B., sometime Governor of South Australia and Tasmania, was the third son of Colonel Sir Aretas W. Young, who was Governor of Prince Edward Island from 1831 to 1836. He was born in 1810, and entering the Colonial service held several official posts in the West Indies. He was knighted in 1847, and appointed Lieut.-Governor of the eastern province of the Cape of Good Hope; but was shortly afterwards transferred to South Australia, where he assumed the Governorship as the successor of Colonel Robe in August 1848. In his new capacity he was as go-ahead in his policy as his predecessor had been cautious and reactionary. Through the offer of a bonus of £4000 the navigability of the Murray river was demonstrated by Captain Cadell, but Governor Young failed in his attempt to clear away the sandy bar at its mouth, and wasted £20,000 in the vain effort to establish a harbour at Port Elliott, near the entrance to the river. In 1851 the discovery of gold in Victoria deprived South Australia of a large part of its population, who took with them most of the available coin in the colony. In order to meet the crisis caused by the scarcity of the circulating medium, Governor Young gave his assent to the Bullion Act, which established a new currency consisting of gold cast into small bars or ingots. For endorsing this measure he was censured by the Home Government for exceeding his powers, but the necessity of the step was not seriously called in question. By his prudent action in establishing a reliable escort between Ballarat, in Victoria, and Adelaide, much of the gold won at the new Eldorado found its way to South Australia, and steps were also taken, in the end successfully, to stimulate the discovery of the precious metal within the colony. In Dec. 1855 Sir Henry Fox Young left South Australia to assume the Governorship of Tasmania, where he took office as successor to Sir William Denison in Jan. 1855, and carried with him the necessary powers