Page:The History of the Church & Manor of Wigan part 1.djvu/130

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been validated.
118
History of the Church and Manor of Wigan.

Johannes Standish, qui trahit moram Leicestrie, est Symoniace promotus, Dominus Le Scrope, sive Dominiis Le Conias, sunt patroni. Unde Dominus vocand, decrevit. Needum compamit. Ideo Dominus decrevit ultiorem processum. Et causa commissa est commissario Leic.[1]

Dr. Standish was admitted to the stall of Ealdland in St. Paul's Cathedral on 21st October, 1557, but was deprived soon afterwards and succeeded by Robert Willanton in 1557 or 1558 while Queen Mary was yet living; from which it may be inferred, perhaps, that he was again preparing for a change. Willanton was succeeded by Dr. John Morwen in July, 1558 (5 and 6 Phil. and Mary); after whom Standish was restored by Queen Elizabeth, and died possessed of it in 1570.[2] In the meantime he had not altogether broken with Bishop Bonner, for on 15th October, 1558, shortly before the death of Queen Mary, being then styled prebendary of Ealdland, he was re-instated by bishop Bonner in the archdeaconry of Colchester, of which he was soon afterwards deprived again, on the accession of Queen Elizabeth to the throne, and John Pulleyne was admitted 13th December, 1559, "ad presentationem Reginæ."[3] He was evidently a regular time-server, and changed his views with the changes in the times. In the beginning of Queen Mary's reign he was very zealous in his endeavours to destroy the copies of the Bible which had been translated into the English language in the time of King Edward VI. and before. He bestirred himself so much in this matter that he found means to have it proposed in parliament that all such Bibles should be prohibited and burned. " This," says à Wood, "being very displeasing to many made him hateful in their eyes."[4]

  1. Strype's Memorials vol. vi. p. 403.
  2. Le Neve's Fasti
  3. Ibid.
  4. Wood's Athenæ, J. Bale (in lib, de Scriptoribus Mag., Britan, p. 111, int. cent. 12 and 13) speaks of him as one "quem magna pars populi pro morione et scurrâ tenebat"; and he afterwards calls him "bestia" and "impostor." Another writer (if indeed he be not the same) speaks of him as : "Dr. Inkpot, and a blinking coxcomb, who married against his conscience (as he saith), more fit to be made a riding fool than chaplain to a king." The expression occurs in an epistle to the reader prefixed to an edition of Stephen Gardiner's work: "De Verâ Obedienciâ; an Oration made in Latine by the ryghte Reverend father in God Stephan B. of Winchestre . . . with the preface of E. Boner. . . . .B. of London, touching true Obedience . . . translated into English and printed by Michal Wood; with the preface and conclusion of the traunslatour, Roane (Rouen) xxv of Octobre, 1553." 8vo. G. 11993(3) in Brit. Mus. The editor of the catalogue of Books in Brit. Mus., printed before 1640, calls M. Wood a pseudonym, and attributes the authorship of another book, printed in his name (Admonishion to the Bisshopes of Winchester, London and others) at Roane in 1553, to J. Bale, Bishop of Ossory. If this be so the Oration may also have been published by him. This, being the language of the zealous reformers, incited one of another opinion, who was after them in time, to characterize Standish as "vir doctrinâ, pictate, fide et divine gloria selo conspicuus" (Jo. Pits. de illustr. Angl. Script, at. 16, num. 1001).