A SONG OF LIBERTY
1. The Eternal Female groan'd ! It was heard over all the Earth.
2. Albion's coast is sick, silent. The American meadows faint.
3. Shadows of Prophecy shiver along by the lakes and the rivers, and mutter across the ocean. France, rend down thy dungeon.
4. Golden Spain, burst the barriers of old Rome.
5. Cast thy keys, O Rome, into the deep down falling, even to eternity down falling.
6. And weep.
7. In her trembling hands she took the new born terror howling.
8. On those infinite mountains of light now barr'd out by the atlantic sea, the new born fire stood before the starry king.
9. Flag'd with grey brow'd snows and thunderous visages, the jealous wings wav'd over the deep.
10. The speary hand burn'd aloft, unbuckled was the shield ; forth went the hand of jealousy among the flaming hair, and hurl'd the new born wonder
thro' the starry night.
11. The fire, the fire, is falling !
12. Look up ! look up ! O citizen of London, enlarge thy countenance. O Jew, leave counting gold ! return to thy oil and wine. African ! black African ! (Go, winged thought, widen his forehead.)
13. The fiery limbs, the flaming hair, shot like the linking sun into the western sea.