Searchlights on Health/How to Perpetuate the Honey-Moon
HOW TO PERPETUATE THE HONEY-MOON.
1. CONTINUE YOUR COURTSHIP.—Like causes produce like effects.
2. NEGLECT OF YOUR COMPANION.—Do not assume a right to neglect your companion more after marriage than you did before.
3. SECRETS.—Have no secrets that you keep from your companion. A third party is always disturbing.
4. AVOID THE APPEARANCE OF EVIL.—In matrimonial matters it is often that the mere appearance contains all the evil. Love, as soon as it rises above calculation and becomes love, is exacting. It gives all, and demands all.
5. ONCE MARRIED, NEVER OPEN YOUR MIND TO ANY CHANGE. If you keep the door of your purpose closed, evil or even desirable changes cannot make headway without help.
6. KEEP STEP IN MENTAL DEVELOPMENT.—A tree that grows for forty years may take all the sunlight from a tree that stops growing at twenty.
7. KEEP A LIVELY INTEREST IN THE BUSINESS OF THE HOME.—Two that do not pull together are weaker than either alone.
8. GAUGE YOUR EXPENSES BY YOUR REVENUES.—Love must eat. The sheriff often levies on Cupid long before he takes away the old furniture.
9. START FROM WHERE YOUR PARENTS STARTED RATHER THAN FROM WHERE THEY NOW ARE.—Hollow and showy boarding often furnishes the too strong temptation, while the quietness of a humble home would cement the hearts beyond risk.
10. AVOID DEBT.—Spend your own money, but earn it first, then it will not be necessary to blame any one for spending other people's.
11. DO NOT BOTH GET ANGRY AT THE SAME TIME.—Remember, it takes two to quarrel.
12. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF EVER TO COME TO AN OPEN RUPTURE.—Things unsaid need less repentance.
13. STUDY TO CONFORM YOUR TASTES AND HABITS TO THE TASTES AND HABITS OF YOUR COMPANION.—If two walk together, they must agree.