The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Calvert (county)
CALVERT, a S. county of Maryland, on the W. shore of Chesapeake bay; area, 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,865, of whom 5,533 were colored. The Patuxent river forms its W. boundary, and falls into the bay at the S. extremity of the county. The surface is rolling; the soil is good, and much improved by the application of marl, which is found here in considerable quantity. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,623 bushels of wheat, 178,409 of Indian corn, 28,740 of oats, and 3,158,200 lbs. of tobacco. There were 1,814 horses, 1,280 milch cows, 2,807 other cattle, 3,109 sheep, and 4,723 swine. Capital, Prince Frederick.