The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Delaware (Ohio)
|←Delaware (counties)||The American Cyclopædia
|Edition of 1879. See also Delaware, Ohio on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
DELAWARE, or Delaware Court House, a town and the capital of Delaware co., Ohio, on the right bank of the Olentangy river, which is here crossed by a bridge, 24 m. N. of Columbus, and at the intersection of the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroad with its Springfield branch; pop. in 1870, 5,641. It is pleasantly situated on rolling ground, and is neatly built. It contains a medicinal spring, which is much resorted to. There are several machine shops, an oil mill, manufactories of cordage, crash, &c.; two national banks, and a large hotel. It is the seat of the Ohio Wesleyan university, organized in 1844, which in 1871 had 9 instructors, 417 students, of whom 74 were in the preparatory department, and a library of 13,000 volumes. A theological department is connected with the university. The Ohio Wesleyan female college, organized in 1863, in 1871 had 10 instructors and 210 students.