The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Kaufman
KAUFMAN, a N. E. county of Texas, bounded S. W. by Trinity river, and drained by the E. fork of that stream; area, 950 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,895, of whom 838 were colored. The surface is mostly undulating, and the S. E. part is well timbered, while the N. W. is occupied by prairies. The soil is generally good. The chief productions in 1870 were 179,658 bushels of Indian corn, 11,700 of sweet potatoes, and 1,910 bales of cotton. There were 2,605 horses, 25,643 cattle, 2,448 sheep, and 8,406 swine. Capital, Kaufman.