The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Lebanon (county)
|←Leavitt, Joshua||The American Cyclopædia
|Lebanon (borough, village and towns)→|
|Edition of 1879. See also Lebanon County, Pennsylvania on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
LEBANON, a S. E. county of Pennsylvania, bounded N. W. by Kittatinny or Blue mountain, S. E. by South mountain, and drained by Swatara river and its branches; area, 288 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 34,096. It consists almost wholly of a valley, and has mines of excellent iron ore in connection with rich veins of copper; slate, limestone; and marble also abound. The soil is very fertile. The Union canal and the Lebanon Valley branch of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad, the Lebanon and Tremont, and the Schuylkill and Susquehanna railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 538,304 bushels of wheat, 70,188 of rye, 627,881 of Indian corn, 678,614 of oats, 95,835 of potatoes, 569,199 lbs. of butter, and 41,894 tons of hay. There were 6,895 horses, 9,131 milch cows, 11,763 other cattle, 2,687 sheep, and 13,953 swine; 4 manufactories of boots and shoes, 9 of brick, 19 of carriages, 3 of cars, 39 of clothing, 18 of furniture, 15 of iron, 15 of lime, 1 of machinery, 1 of paper, 11 of saddlery and harness, 15 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 19 of cigars, 4 breweries, 6 tanneries, 4 currying establishments, 1 planing mill, 4 saw mills, and 14 flour mills. Capital, Lebanon.