The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Leith
|←Leisler, Jacob|| The American Cyclopædia
|Edition of 1879. See also Leith on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
LEITH, a seaport town of Edinburghshire, Scotland, situated on the Water of Leith at its confluence with the frith of Forth, almost adjoining Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 44,280. Until the passing of the burgh reform act of 1833, it was dependent upon and governed by the city of Edinburgh, of which it forms the port. It has a Latin school, a mechanics' hall, several hospitals, and a public library. Among its numerous manufactures are sail cloth, glass ware, soap, paints, and chemicals. The town is built on the low ground adjoining the frith. The more ancient streets and lanes are narrow and tortuous, but those of the modern part of the town are commodious and well built. The harbor, originally a difficult one, on account of the sands brought down by the river accumulating within it, is now one of the most commodious on the E. coast; and its piers, docks, and other works which have been constructed within the present century afford excellent accommodation for shipping. A large portion of the trade of this port is with the Hanse towns, Holland, Denmark, and the Russian Baltic ports. The coastwise entrances during the year ending Sept. 30, 1871, were 2,878, tonnage 292,354; the clearances 3,445, tonnage 382,199. The entrances from the colonies and foreign countries were 1,444, tonnage 423,211; the clearances to the same 882, tonnage 335,789. Of the entrances 1,504, tonnage 435,128, and of the clearances 1,310, tonnage 388,555, were foreign vessels. The customs revenue for the same period amounted to £164,245.