The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Nebraska City
|←Nebraska||The American Cyclopædia
|Edition of 1879. See also Nebraska City, Nebraska on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
NEBRASKA CITY, a city and the capital of Otoe co., Nebraska, on the Missouri river, at the terminus of the Midland Pacific railroad, 35 m. S. of Omaha, and 45 m. E. by S. of Lincoln; pop. in 1860, 1,922; in 1870, 6,050. The Kansas City, St. Joseph, and Council Bluffs railroad runs along the opposite bank. The city is handsomely situated on rising ground, and is surrounded by a fine agricultural country. It has a beautiful brick court house, an opera house, gas works, two national banks, a private bank, an elevator, flouring mills, a distillery, two plough manufactories, four large public schools, a public library, two daily and four weekly (one German) newspapers, a Catholic convent, and 13 churches. It is the seat of Nebraska college, an Episcopal institution, which was organized in 1865, and has theological, collegiate, and preparatory or business departments. In 1874-'5 it had 10 professors and instructors, 88 students (most of whom were in the business department), and a library of 1,500 volumes. Nebraska City was founded in 1855.