|←Chapter 32||The Deerslayer by
- Chingachgook is Natty Bumppo's native American, life-long friend and companion. He is a Mohican/Delaware of the Algonquin tribes of eastern America. He is referred to as "Sarpent": his name means "le gros serpent" in French and "the big serpent" in English. He appears in this novel, The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder and The Pioneers.
- Natty Bumppo as Deerslayer is the titular hero of this novel, chronologically the first of the "Leather Stocking Tales." In this novel he is a "few" years youger than Hurry Harry, making him about 23 to 26 years of age. He is known as Hawkeye and La Longe Carabine in The Last of the Mohicans, Pathfinder in The Pathfinder, Leather Stocking in The Pioneers, and the trapper in The Prairie. He is the master of his long rifle, named "Kill deer."
- Henry March also known as Hurry Harry, Hurry Scurry or just Hurry is a woodsman and a trapper, of about 26 to 28 years of age at the time of the story. He and Tom Hutter find themselves at cross purposes with Deerslayer in their quest of native American scalps.
- Floating Tom Hutter, trader who lives with his daughters in a house on piers in the middle of Lake Otsego (known in the novel as "Glimmerglass"). It is discovered that he has had a former life as the pirate Thomas Hovey.
- Judith Hutter, supposed elder daughter of Tom Hutter, who was actually her guardian and protector.
- Hetty Hutter, supposed younger, feeble-minded daughter of Tom Hutter.
- Wah-tah! Wah is Chingachgook's intended bride. Her name means "hist, oh! hist." As Chingachgook's wife she will become the mother of Uncas, one of the main characters in The Last of the Mohicans.
James Fenimore Cooper, The Deerslayer, Pref., Ch.1, Ch.2, Ch.3, Ch.4, Ch.5, Ch.6, Ch.7, Ch.8, Ch.9, Ch.10, Ch.11, Ch.12, Ch.13, Ch.14, Ch.15, Ch.16, Ch.17, Ch.18, Ch.19, Ch.20, Ch.21, Ch.22, Ch.23, Ch.24, Ch.25, Ch.26, Ch.27, Ch.28, Ch.29, Ch.30, Ch.31, Ch.32, Characters.