The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Campbell, John Logan

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

Campbell, John Logan, M.D., M.R.C.S., only son of John Campbell, M.D., of Edinburgh, sixth son of Sir James Campbell, Bart., of Aberuchill and Kilbryde, by Catherine, daughter of John Logan of Knockshinock, co. Ayr, was born in 1817, and educated at Edinburgh University, where he took his medical degree. In 1839 he threw up his commission in the East India Company, whose service he had entered, and migrated to Sydney, but in the following year went to New Zealand, settling on an island in Waitemata Harbour, known to the natives, from whom he purchased it, as Motu Korea, now Brown's Island. This was before the Government had fixed upon the site of the capital—Auckland—to which he removed and established the firm of Brown and Campbell in 1840. In 1848 he visited England, returning to New Zealand in 1850. In 1855-6 he was Superintendent of the Province of Auckland, and on June 2nd, 1856, joined the Stafford Government as member of the Executive Council without portfolio, being at that time M.H.R. for Auckland in the Assembly. On Nov. 24th he resigned his office, as also his superintendent, and returned to England, but went out again in 1859, and was elected member for Parnell. He went once more to England in 1861, and did not return till 1871, when he settled definitely in the colony, but did not again enter public life. Dr. Campbell has been Chairman of the Board of Education in Auckland, and of the New Zealand Board of the Bank of New Zealand, an institution of which he was one of the founders. He founded and maintained at his own expense the Free School of Art in Auckland. He is the author of "Poenamo," a book on early life in Auckland. Dr. Campbell married in 1858 Emma, daughter of Sir John Cracroft Wilson, K.C.S.I. He is now sole partner of the mercantile firm he established on the foundation of Auckland in 1840.