The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Linton, Right Rev. Sydney
|←Lindauer, Gottfried||The Dictionary of Australasian Biography by
Linton, Right Rev. Sydney
|Lipson, Captain Thomas→|
Linton, Right Rev. Sydney, D.D., first Bishop of Riverina, N.S.W., is the son of the Rev. Henry Linton, M.A., rector of St Peter le Bailey, Oxford, and Honorary Canon of Christ Church, by his marriage with Charlotte, daughter of Rev. William Richardson, rector of Ferrybridge, and was born in 1841. He was educated at Rugby, and at Wadham College, Oxford, where he graduated and took a second class in Law and History in 1864. He was ordained deacon in 1867, priest in 1868, was curate of St. Mark's, Cheltenham, from 1867 to 1870, vicar of Holy Trinity, Oxford, from 1870 to 1877, vicar of St. Philip's, Norwich, from 1877 to 1884, in which year, on the formation of the see of Riverina, he was appointed the first bishop, being consecrated in St. Paul's Cathedral on May 1st, 1884. Bishop Linton, who was created an honorary D.D. of Oxford in 1884, and who arrived in New South Wales in March 1885, married in June 1877 Jane Isabella, daughter of Rev. Professor Heurtley, canon of Christ Church, Oxford.