The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Brandenburg (city)
|←Brandenburg (province)||The Encyclopedia Americana
|Brandenburg, Confession of→|
|Edition of 1920. See also Brandenburg an der Havel on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
BRANDENBURG, Germany, Prussian city in the administrative district of Potsdam and province of Brandenburg, on the Havel, 35 miles west of Berlin, formerly the residence of the reigning family of Prussia. The Havel here expands into a lake and divides Brandenburg into the Old Town, the New Town and the Cathedral Island, the last containing a castle and the cathedral. The latter is a late Romanesque building (1170-1318), restored in the 19th century. The industries embrace woolen yarn, silk goods, baskets, leather, hosiery, paper, beer, linen, etc., and the building of boats is also carried on. Pop. about 55,000. It became the seat of a bishopric in 949. From 27 Nov. to 5 Dec. 1848, Brandenburg was the seat of the National Assembly of Prussia.