The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Carnegie Technical Schools
|←Carnegie Institution of Washington||The Encyclopedia Americana
Carnegie Technical Schools
|Edition of 1920. See also Carnegie Institute of Technology on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
CARNEGIE TECHNICAL SCHOOLS, Pittsburgh, Pa., a co-educational institution founded by Mr. Andrew Carnegie with an endowment of $4,000,000. The schools are housed in five buildings. The United States Geological Survey has established in Machinery Hall the main laboratory of the Chemical Division, Technologic Branch, where investigations of fuels from all parts of the country are conducted. The courses in the schools are arranged for day and night students. There are four departments: 1. The School of Applied Science, offering preliminary and specialized courses in the fields of engineering and chemical practice. The time for completion of the course spends on the aptitude and application of the individual students; (2) the School for Apprentices and Journeymen, which gives general training to supplement the usual apprenticeships in order to counteract the dangers of specialization and over-emphasis of the practical as opposed to the theoretical sides. Courses as given during slack seasons, etc.; (3) the School of Applied Design, offering courses in architecture and interior decoration. The standards for admission are high school or equivalent certificate and an entrance examination; (4) the Margaret Morrison Carnegie School for Women, giving training in the homemaking arts, dress-making and design and secretarial work. Candidates are admitted on personal interview if they are over 18, and by examination if they are under 18.