The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Emden
|←Embury, Philip||The Encyclopedia Americana
|Edition of 1920. See also Emden on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
EMDEN, Germany, town, in the province of Hanover, on the Ems, near where it discharges itself into the Dollart estuary. Emden has an excellent roadstead and its harbor is connected with this by a canal admitting large vessels. The Dortmund-Ems and other canals connect it with the interior. The town has a Dutch appearance due to its quaint architecture and the dykes which protect it from inundation. The town hall, dating from the 16th century, has a remarkable collection of ancient armor and is one of the finest public buildings in Germany. The town contains also a 12th century church, a museum, art gallery, barracks, a public library, trade and industrial schools, and a deaf and dumb institute. Emden has cable communication with Great Britain, America, and other countries. Its export trade includes grain, dairy produce, cattle, tallow, wool, hides, etc.; and it imports coal, timber, wine and colonial produce. A considerable number of vessels are built here annually; and the manufactures include leather, paper, dairying instruments, basketware, cement, wire ropes, bricks, soap and tobacco. There are also oil-mills, breweries and distilleries. Emden was founded in the 10th century or earlier and in 1433 was added to Hamburg. It became a free city in 1595, and a free port in 1751. In 1806 it was taken by Holland, but nine years later was added to Hanover, which in 1866 was itself made part of Prussia. Pop. 24,038.