The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Lauban
|←Lattmann, Julius|| The Encyclopedia Americana
|Edition of 1920. See also Lubań on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer. Now part of Poland.|
LAUBAN, lou'bạn, Germany, city in the Prussian province of Silesia, on the river Queis, 38 miles southwest of Liegnitz and 16 miles east of Gorlitz, at a junction of three railway lines. It was founded in the 10th century, was the headquarters of Frederick the Great in 1761 and in 1815 was the last Saxon town to surrender itself to Prussia. It has a town-hall dating from 1541 and a 14th century convent of Saint Magdalene. It was an important town in the league of the six towns of Lusatia. It has oil and flour mills, tobacco and textile manufactories and breweries. Pop., commune, 15,467.