The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Schleswig
|←Schlesinger, Frank||The Encyclopedia Americana
|Edition of 1920. See also Schleswig, Schleswig-Holstein on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
SCHLESWIG, shlāz'vĭg, Germany, a seaport in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Prussia, at the head of the Schlei, 29 miles northwest of Kiel. It resembles a Dutch town in point of architecture and is divided into three parts — the Alstadt, or Old Town, the Lollfuss and the Friedrichsberg. The only square is the market-place in the Altstadt. The principal street, two miles long, is the Lollfuss. The buildings of importance are the three churches, of which the cathedral (12th century) is a fine Gothic pile, with a tower 368 feet high. Other buildings are the old castle, various benevolent institutions and the Convent for Noble Women. At the south are the remains of a wall erected by pagan kings against the invasion of Jutlanders. As early as the 9th century the city was a great mart for exchange of goods between the countries of the North Sea and those of the Baltic. The chief manufactures are woolen goods, laces, sugar, earthenware and leather. There are seven annual fairs. Pop. 19,905.