The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Trinity College (Hartford)
|←Trinity College (Durham)||The Encyclopedia Americana
Trinity College (Hartford)
|Trinity College (Ireland)→|
|Edition of 1920. See also Trinity College (Connecticut) on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
TRINITY COLLEGE, Hartford, Conn., was founded by Bishop Brownell of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1823 and was then chartered as Washington College. In 1845 the name was changed to Trinity College; in 1872 the original campus was sold to the city of Hartford as the site for the State Capitol and the college moved to its present site in the suburbs. The college offers (1) a course in arts leading to the degree of A.B.; (2) a course in science, leading to the degree of B.S.; (3) a course in civil engineering, added to the curriculum in 1903-04; those taking this course may receive either the degree of A.B., or B.S., according to their electives; (4) graduate courses leading to the degrees of M.A. and M.S. The college has a large number of scholarships, two fellowships and several graduate scholarships. The principal buildings are of brown stone, secular Gothic in architecture. The library in 1918 contained 85,000 volumes. The productive funds amounted to $1,618,000. The average attendance is about 250 and the faculty numbers 25.