The Government Clerks
|The Government Clerks (1837)
by , translated by Katharine Prescott Wormeley
|Original French title: "Les Employés", sometimes translated as "Bureaucracy". First published 1837. Included as part of La Comédie humaine.|
To the Comtesse Seraphina San Severino, with the respectful
homage of sincere and deep admiration
- Chapter I: THE RABOURDIN HOUSEHOLD
- Chapter II: MONSIEUR DES LUPEAULX
- Chapter III: THE TEREDOS NAVALIS, OTHERWISE CALLED SHIP-WORM
- Chapter IV: THREE-QUARTER LENGTH PORTRAITS OF CERTAIN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS
- Chapter V: THE MACHINE IN MOTION
- Chapter VI: THE WORMS AT WORK
- Chapter VII: SCENES FROM DOMESTIC LIFE
- Chapter VIII: FORWARD, MOLLUSKS!
- Chapter IX: THE RESIGNATION
This work was published before January 1, 1923, and is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.