The Hour of the Dragon
|The Hour of the Dragon (1935)
|Chapter 1 →|
|The Hour of the Dragon is one of the original stories by Howard and his only full length novel about Conan the Cimmerian. Originally written for a British publisher Dennis Archer, it was later published as a five part serial in Weird Tales between the months of December 1935 to April 1936 after the initial publisher folded. It is considered by many to be one of his best works.— Excerpted from The Hour of the Dragon on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.|
The Lion banner sways and falls in the horror-haunted gloom;
A scarlet Dragon rustles by, borne on winds of doom.
In heaps the shining horsemen lie, where the thrusting lances break,
And deep in the haunted mountains, the lost, black gods awake.
Dead hands grope in the shadows, the stars turn pale with fright,
For this is the Dragon's Hour, the triumph of Fear and Night.
- Chapter 1: O Sleeper, Awake!
- Chapter 2: The Black Wind Blows
- Chapter 3: The Cliffs Reel
- Chapter 4: "From What Hell Have You Crawled?"
- Chapter 5: The Haunter of the Pits
- Chapter 6: The Thrust of a Knife
- Chapter 7: The Rending of the Veil
- Chapter 8: Dying Embers
- Chapter 9: "It Is the King or His Ghost!"
- Chapter 10: A Coin from Acheron
- Chapter 11: Swords of the South
- Chapter 12: The Fang of the Dragon
- Chapter 13: "A Ghost Out of the Past"
- Chapter 14: The Black Hand of Set
- Chapter 15: The Return of the Corsair
- Chapter 16: Black-Walled Khemi
- Chapter 17: "He Has Slain the Sacred Son of Set!"
- Chapter 18: "I Am the Woman Who Never Died"
- Chapter 19: In the Hall of the Dead
- Chapter 20: Out of the Dust Shall Acheron Arise
- Chapter 21: Drums of Peril
- Chapter 22: The Road to Acheron
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was legally published within the United States (or the United Nations Headquarters in New York subject to Section 7 of the United States Headquarters Agreement) before 1964, and copyright was not renewed.
The author died in 1936, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 75 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.
Works published in 1935 would have had to renew their copyright in either 1962 or 1963, i.e. at least 27 years after it was first published / registered but not later than 31 Decemberin the 28th year. As it was not renewed, it entered the public domain on 1 January 1964 .