The Napoleon of Notting Hill
For every tiny town or place
God made the stars especially;
Babies look up with owlish face
And see them tangled in a tree;
You saw a moon from Sussex Downs,
A Sussex moon, untravelled still,
I saw a moon that was the town's,
The largest lamp on Campden Hill.
Yea; Heaven is everywhere at home
The big blue cap that always fits,
And so it is (be calm; they come
To goal at last, my wandering wits),
So is it with the heroic thing;
This shall not end for the world's end
And though the sullen engines swing,
Be you not much afraid, my friend.
This did not end by Nelson's urn
Where an immortal England sits--
Nor where your tall young men in turn
Drank death like wine at Austerlitz.
And when the pedants bade us mark
What cold mechanic happenings
Must come; our souls said in the dark,
"Belike; but there are likelier things."
Likelier across these flats afar
These sulky levels smooth and free
The drums shall crash a waltz of war
And Death shall dance with Liberty;
Likelier the barricades shall blare
Slaughter below and smoke above,
And death and hate and hell declare
That men have found a thing to love.
Far from your sunny uplands set
I saw the dream; the streets I trod
The lit straight streets shot out and met
The starry streets that point to God.
This legend of an epic hour
A child I dreamed, and dream it still,
Under the great grey water-tower
That strikes the stars on Campden Hill
G. K. C.
Book I 
- Chapter I: Introductory Remarks on the Art of Prophecy
- Chapter II: The Man in Green
- Chapter III: The Hill of Humour
Book II 
- Chapter I: The Charter of the Cities
- Chapter II: The Council of the Provosts
- Chapter III: Enter a Lunatic
Book III 
- Chapter I: The Mental Condition of Adam Wayne
- Chapter II: The Remarkable Mr. Turnbull
- Chapter III: The Experiment of Mr. Buck
Book IV 
- Chapter I: The Battle of the Lamps
- Chapter II: The Correspondent of the "Court Journal"
- Chapter III: The Great Army of South Kensington
Book V 
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1936, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 75 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.