The New International Encyclopædia/Öls
ÖLS, or OELS, ẽls. The capital of a circle in the Province of Silesia, Prussia, and formerly capital of a principality on the Oelsbach, 17 miles northeast of Breslau (Map: Prussia, G 3). Its castle, built in 1558, is the property of the Prussian Crown Prince, Among its churches are the Schlosskirche, from the twelfth century, and the Gothic Propstkirche, from the fourteenth century. There are manufactures of agricultural machinery, cloth, wagons, and shoes. Population, in 1900, 10,580. Oels was founded in the tenth century.