The New International Encyclopædia/Drew Theological Seminary
|←Drewry's Bluff, Battle of||The New International Encyclopædia
Drew Theological Seminary
|Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry→|
|Edition of 1905. See also Drew University on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
DREW THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY. A leading educational institution for the training of Methodist Episcopal ministers. The seminary was founded at Madison, N. J., in 1866, and was named in honor of Daniel Drew, who donated grounds and buildings to the value of about $275,000. The course of study extends through three years, and is intended not only to give a thorough professional training, but to afford opportunity for a broad culture through the study of the humanities. The seminary degree B.D. is given only to graduates holding a prior academic degree. No tuition fees are charged. The seminary buildings include Mead Hall, Asbury Hall, Embury Hall, the Hoyt-Bowne Hall, the Administration Building, and the J. B. Cornell Library. The total value of the grounds and buildings is approximately $700,000, while the endowment funds aggregate $460,000. The library is especially valuable, containing 73,000 volumes and 59,000 pamphlets. The enrollment of students approximates 200.