The New International Encyclopædia/Gartsherrie
|←Gärtner, Joseph|| The New International Encyclopædia
|Edition of 1906. See also Coatbridge on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
GARTSHER'RIE. A former village in Lanarkshire, Scotland, on the Caledonian Railway, two and one-half miles west-northwest of Airdrie (Map: Scotland, D 4). In 1871 it had 2000 inhabitants. The establishment of extensive iron-works, noted for the quality of their product, developed a prosperous town, which was incorporated with Coatbridge (q.v.) in 1885.