The New International Encyclopædia/Jewish Chautauqua Society, The
|←Jewish Art||The New International Encyclopædia
Jewish Chautauqua Society, The
|Jewish Language and Literature→|
|Edition of 1905. See also Jewish Chautauqua Society on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
JEWISH CHAUTAUQUA (shȧ-ta̤'kwȧ) SOCIETY, The. Conceived and founded in 1893 by its chancellor, Dr. Henry Berkowitz, of Philadelphia, this society is modeled on the mother Chautauqua of New York. In 1897 the first assembly was held in Atlantic City, and this focusing of the work has so greatly prospered that the original session of two weeks has now been extended to three. Here the creation of departments for study and entertainment is similar to those of other Chautauquas. More than this, the influence of the society has resulted in the London ‘Jewish Study Society.’ The official organ is the Menorah Magazine of New York, and there is also an Assembly Record, published at Philadelphia, besides special series of various publications. The society was incorporated in 1899, and is administered by the following officers: a chancellor, a president, a treasurer, a secretary and director, a field secretary, a board of trustees, and an educational council. Consult: Special Series No. 7 of the Jewish Publication Society of America (Philadelphia, 1902); the Menorah Magazine (New York, since 1897); Reports of the United States Commissioner of Education.