United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2012
|←United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2011||United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2012
||United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2013→|
2012 (XX). Question of Southern Rhodesia
The General Assembly,
Deeply concerned at the situation in Southern Rhodesia,
Noting with particular concern the repeated threats of the present authorities in Southern Rhodesia immediately to declare unilaterally the independence of Southern Rhodesia, in order to perpetuate minority rule in Southern Rhodesia,
Noting the attitude of the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland that a unilateral declaration of independence for Southern Rhodesia would be an act of rebellion and that any measure to give it effect would be an act of treason,
1. Condemns any attempt on the part of the Rhodesian authorities to seize independence by illegal means in order to perpetuate minority rule in Southern Rhodesia;
2. Declares that the perpetuation of such minority rule would be incompatible with the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples proclaimed in the Charter of the United Nations and in the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples contained in General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960;
3. Requests the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and all Member States not to accept a declaration of independence for Southern Rhodesia by the present authorities, which would be in the sole interest of the minority, and not to recognize any authorities purporting to emerge therefrom;
4. Calls upon the United Kingdom to take all possible measures to prevent a unilateral declaration of independence and, in the event of such a declaration, to take all steps necessary to put an immediate end to the rebellion, with a view to transferring power to a representative government in keeping with the aspirations of the majority of the people;
5. Decides to keep the question of Southern Rhodesia under urgent and continuing review during the twentieth session and to consider what further steps may be necessary.
- 1357th plenary meeting,
- 12 October 1965.