United Nations General Assembly Resolution 51/198 C
|United Nations General Assembly Resolution 51/198 C (1997)
7 August 1997
Agenda item 40
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 51/198 B of 27 March 1997, in which it extended the mandate of the United Nations Verification Mission in Guatemala until 31 March 1998,
Welcoming the timely implementation of the Agreement on the Definitive Ceasefire,
Having considered the report of the Secretary-General relating to verification of the peace accords,
1. Welcomes the report of the Secretary-General on the United Nations Verification Mission in Guatemala;
2. Takes note with satisfaction of the progress made so far in the implementation of the peace accords;
3. Commends the Government of Guatemala, the Unidad Revolucionaria Nacional Guatemalteca and the Guatemalan people, institutions and organizations for their participation in the implementation process;
4. Encourages the two parties and all sectors of Guatemalan society to join efforts for the implementation of all steps provided for in the second phase of the Agreement on the Implementation, Compliance and Verification Timetable for the Peace Agreements, until 31 December 1997;
5. Reiterates its full support for the comprehensive agenda of democratic, equitable and multicultural development included in the accords, and invites the international community to continue cooperating in the establishment of the most favourable conditions for its realization;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to keep the General Assembly fully informed about the implementation process in the light of the present resolution.
31 July 1997
- Official Records of the Security Council, Fifty-first Year, Supplement for October, November and December 1996, document S/1996/1045, annex.
- A/51/796-S/1997/114, annex I; see Official Records of the Security Council, Fifty-second Year, Supplement for January, February and March 1997, document S/1997/114.