User:Charles Matthews/CE Conventions
A place to write down style conventions relating to the Catholic Encyclopedia (1913).
- St., Bl. and Ven. for Saint, Blessed, Venerable. Pope St. for Pope Saint. Plurals Sts. and Vens.
- There is no established convention for antipopes but this would undoubtedly help the reader.
- "Diocese of X" instead of just "X" could be a help: currently there is no consistency.
- Use of "The" is patchy.
- Leading phrase is in bold in the original. Currently it is typically omitted.
- Qualifying phrases may be in small caps.
- End signature is in small caps.
- References are in small, and within that should be small caps and italics.
Three clear cases:
- (q. v.) cross-references in the text;
- Caps cross-references in the text;
- Reference sections.