1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Alexandrovsk
|←Alexandropol||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 1
|See also Alexandrovsk on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
ALEXANDROVSK, (1) A town of N. Russia, in the government of Archangel, on the harbour of Catherine (Ekaterininsk), on the Murman coast, 5 m. from the mouth of Kola Bay. It was opened in 1899 and is a naval station, being free from ice all the year round. It is also called Port Catherine. Pop. (1901) 300. (2) A town of S. Russia, 83 m. S. of Ekaterinoslav, on the railway to the Crimea, near the left bank of the Dnieper, below its rapids. Pop. (1897) 16,393. Opposite it is the island of Khortitsa, upon which was the sich (or syech) or camp of the Zaporozhian Cossacks. All its neighbourhood is strewn with kurgans (tumuli).