1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Michigan City
|←Michigan, University of||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica
|See also Michigan City, Indiana on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
MICHIGAN CITY, a city of Laporte county, Indiana, U.S.A., on the S.E. shore of lake Michigan, about 40 m. E. by S. of Chicago. Pop. (1890) 10,776; (1900), 14,850, of whom 3662 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 19,027. Michigan City is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Lake Erie & Western, the Michigan Central and the Père Marquette railways, by interurban electric lines, and by several lines of lake steamships. The city contains a United States Life Saving Station and the Indiana State Prison, and is the seat of a Protestant Episcopal bishop. Its transportation advantages make it one of the principal commercial cities in the state. Its shipments of lumber are of special importance, and it has also a large transshipment trade in salt and iron ore. The total factory product in 1905 was valued at $6,314,226. The municipality owns and operates its water-works system. Michigan City was first settled about 1830, was incorporated as a village in 1837, and was first chartered as a city in 1867.