1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Muncie
|←Münch-Bellinghausen, Eligius Franz Joseph||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19
|See also Muncie, Indiana on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
MUNCIE, a city and the county-seat of Delaware county, Indiana, U.S.A., on the West Fork of the White river, about 57 m. N.E. of Indianapolis. Pop. (1880), 5210; (1890), 11,345; (1900) 20,942, of whom 1235 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 24,005. It is served by the Central Indiana, the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville, the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, the Fort Wayne, Cincinnati & Louisville, and the Lake Erie & Western railways, and by the Indiana Union Traction, the Dayton & Muncie Traction, and the Muncie & Portland Traction (electric inter-urban) railways. The city is built on level ground (altitude 950 ft.), and has an attractive residential section. It is one of the principal manufacturing centres in Indiana, owing largely to its situation in the natural gas belt. In 1900 and in 1905 it was the largest producer of glass and glassware in the United States, the value of its product in 1905 being $2,344,462. Muncie (named after the Munsee Indians, one of the three principal divisions of the Delawares) was settled about 1833 and was chartered as a city in 1865.