1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Phillipsburg
PHILLIPSBURG, a town of Warren county, New Jersey, U.S.A., on the Delaware river, opposite Easton, Pennsylvania, and about 51 m. N.N.W. of Trenton, N.J. Pop. (1900) 10,052, of whom 990 were foreign-born; (1910 U.S. census) 13,903. Served by the Central of New Jersey and other railways, the town is situated in the river bottom and on a bluff which commands beautiful views. The river is spanned here by several bridges. The town has railway shops and various manufactures. In 1905 the value of the factory products was $6,684,173 (45.8% more than in 1900). Phillipsburg was settled about 1750. It was only a straggling village when the Morris Banking and Canal Company was chartered in 1824, but its growth was accelerated by the canal (no longer used), by the establishment in 1848 of an iron furnace, and by the completion of the Central Railroad of New Jersey to this point in 1852; the town was incorporated in 1861.