|←Author Index: Br||Joseph Brookbank
|English clergyman and schoolmaster|
- 'Joh. Amos Comenii Vestibulum Novissimum Linguæ Latinæ, &c. Joh. Amos Comenius His Last Porch of the Latin Tonpo, &c.,' 1647. 16mo (the Latin of Comenius is given on alternate pages with an English version from the Dutch of Henry Schoof compared with the original).
- 'The Saints' Imperfection.&c.,' 6046 (but corrected by Thompson to 19 Dec. 1648), 16mo (sermon on Heb. v. 12; the title-page is otherwise faulty; it was reissued with new title-page in 1656).
- 'Vitis Salutaris: Or, the Vine of Catechetical Divinitie, and Saying Truth, &c.,' 1650, 16mo (a catechism dedicated to parishioners of West Wycombe; a reissue in 1658 has a new title-page, and omits the dedicstion).
- 'An English Monosyllabary.' 1651, 16mo (a singular little book, dedicated to Susan, wife of Edward Trussell, and her sister Philadelphia, daughters of Sir Edward Richards; containing in rhythmical form 'all the words of one syllabl, in our English tongue drawne out into a legibl sens;' at the end are a few prayers in monosyllables).
- 'Plain. Brief, and Pertinent Rules for the Judicious and Artificial Syllabification of all English Words, &c.,' 1654, 16mo (the account of the author's plan for the management of a school is curious).
- 'Two Books more exact and judicious for the Entring of Children to Spell and Read English than were ever yet extant, viz. An English Syllabary, and An English Monosyllabary, &c.,' 1654, 16mo (the second book is simply No. 4, not reprinted; there is a reissue with new title-page as ' The Cornpleat School-Master, '1660).
- 'Orthographia, hoc est, Grammatices Nostrse Regiae Latinae Pars prima … Cui adjungitur Grammatices ejusdem … Synopsis/ 1657, 16mo.
- 'A Breviate of our Kings whole Latin Grammar, vulgarly called fillies,' n.d. (dedication dated 4 July 1660).
- 'The Well-tun'd Organ; or an exercitation wherein this question is discuss'd, whether or no instrumental and organick musick be lawful in holy publick assemblies,' 1660, 4to (Bodleian catalogue).
- 'Rebels Tried and Cast, in three Sermons, on Rom. xiii. 2, &c.,' 1661, 12mo (Wood).
Works about Brookbank 
- “Brookbank, Joseph,” in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885-1900) in 63 vols.
|Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.|