Author:Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
(Redirected from Author:Samuel Johnson (1709–1784))
For authors with similar names, see Samuel Johnson.
|←Author Index: Jo||Samuel Johnson
|English poet, essayist, biographer, and lexicographer.|
Biography, Criticism, Lexicography, Prose
- Life of Richard Savage
- A Dictionary of the English Language
- The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia
- The Plays of William Shakespeare
- A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland
- The Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets (1779-1781)
- Biographical History of the English Poets
Essays, Pamphlets, Periodicals
- Plan for a Dictionary of the English Language
- The Rambler
- The Idler
- The False Alarm
- The Patriot
- Taxation No Tyranny
- Prologue at the Opening of the Theatre in Drury Lane
- The Vanity of Human Wishes
- Irene, a Tragedy
Works about Johnson
- H. P. Lovecraft, A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson
- Arthur Murphy, An Essay on the Life and Genius of Samuel Johnson (1792)
- “Johnson, Samuel” by Thomas Babington Macaulay in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1881.
- Richard Claverhouse Jebb, Samuel Johnson (1894)
- “Johnson, Samuel (lexicographer),” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Johnson, Samuel (essayist),” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Johnson, Samuel” by Thomas Babington Macaulay in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911 (with footnote and afterword by Thomas Seccombe)
- “Johnson, Dr. Samuel,” The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co., 1914.
- “Johnson, Samuel (man of letters)” by William P. Trent in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Johnson, Samuel,” Collier's New Encyclopedia. New York: P.F. Collier & Son Co., 1921.
- "Johnsoniana in Studies of a Biographer by Leslie Stephen
On his works
- “Lives of the Poets” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Rambler, The” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Rasselas” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Vanity of Human Wishes, The” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- Johnsonian Miscellanies
- Footsteps of Dr. Johnson
- A critical examination of Dr G Birkbeck Hills "Johnsonian" Editions
Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.