Author:William Dwight Whitney
|←Author Index: Wh||William Dwight Whitney
American linguist and lexicographer
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "W. D. W."
- Language and the Study of Language: Twelve Lectures on the Principles of Linguistic Science (1867)
- On Material and Form in Language (1872)
- Oriental and Linguistic Studies - First Series: The Veda, The Avesta, The Science of Language (1872)
- Oriental and Linguistic Studies - Second Series: The East and West, Religion and Mythology, Hindu Astronomy (1874)
- Darwinism and Language (1874)
- The Life and Growth of Language: An Outline of Linguistic Science (1875)
- Essentials of English Grammar for the Use of Schools (1877)*
- Sanskrit Grammar: Including Both the Classical Language, and the Older Dialects, of Veda and Brahmana (1879)
- Language and its Study: with Special Reference to the Indo-European (lectures) (1880)*
- Logical Consistency in Views of Language (1880)
- Mixture in Language (1881)
- The Roots, Verb-forms and Primary Derivatives of the Sanskrit Language (supplement to Sanskrit Grammar) (1885)
- Practical French Grammar (1887)*
- A Compendious German and English Dictionary (1887)*
- The Century Dictionary (editor) (1889-1891)
- Introductory French Reader (1891)*
- Max Müller's Science of Language (1893)
- Atharva-Veda Samhita, 2 volumes (translator)
- The History of Sanskrit Grammar (Indian reprint edition of Sanskrit Grammar)
- Manuscript Diary (photo reprint)
Articles in Popular Science Monthly
Works about Whitney
- “Whitney, William Dwight” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “Whitney, Josiah Dwight,” Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1889.
- William Dwight Whitney (Thomas Day Seymour) - a biography published in 1895
- The Whitney Memorial Meeting, ed. Charles Rockwell Lanman (1897)
- “Whitney, William Dwight,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Whitney, William Dwight” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Whitney, William Dwight” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911.
- “Whitney, William Dwight,” Collier's New Encyclopedia. New York: P.F. Collier & Son Co., 1921.
|Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.|