Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Loyola University, Chicago
|←Low Sunday||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)
Loyola University, Chicago
|Loyola University (New Orleans)→|
Loyola University is the outgrowth of St. Ignatius College, founded by the Jesuits in 1869 for the higher education of the Catholic youth of Chicago, and empowered by the Legislature of Illinois (30 June, 1870) to confer the usual degrees in the various faculties of a university. On 21 November, 1909, Loyola University was chartered and St. Ignatius College became the department of arts and sciences. The law department was established in September, 1908, and is now located in the centre of Chicago's business district. The engineering department opened September, 1911, with courses in civil, electrical, chemical, and mechanical engineering. the medical department was founded in 1868 and became a part of the university in June, 1909. The pharmacy school has taken its place among the recognized institutions of the country. The private library of the institution, consisting of 47,000 volumes, is meant primarily for the use of the faculty and the allied schools.