Copyright Amendment Act, 1989
To amend the Copyright Act, 1978, so as to make provision relating to importing, selling and distribution in connection with the nature of copyright in cinematograph films and sound recordings; to provide that certain infringements in respect of certain cinematograph films will no longer be an offence; and to extend the functions of the advisory committee; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
(English text signed by the State President.)
(Assented to 17 May 1989.)
Be it enacted by the State President and the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa, as follows:―
Amendment of section 8 of Act 98 of 1978, as amended by section 5 of Act 56 of 1980 and section 6 of Act 52 of 1984
Amendment of section 9 of Act 98 of 1978, as substituted by section 6 of Act 56 of 1980 and amended by section 7 of Act 52 of 1984
2. Section 9 of the principal Act is hereby amended by the substitution for paragraph (b) of the following paragraph:
Amendment of section 27 of Act 98 of 1978, as amended by section 11 of Act 52 of 1984
3. Section 27 of the principal Act is hereby amended by the substitution for subsection (1) of the following subsection:
“(1) Any person who at a time when copyright subsists in a work, without the authority of the owner of the copyright―
articles which he knows to be infringing copies of the work, [or, in the case where such work consists of a cinematograph film registered in terms of the Registration of Copyright in Cinematograph Films Act, 1977 (Act No. 62 of 1977), articles which are reproductions or adaptations of the cinematograph film] shall be guilty of an offence.”.
Amendment of section 40 of Act 98 of 1978
4. Section 40 of the principal Act is hereby amended―
Short title and commencement
5. (1) This Act shall be called the Copyright Amendment Act, 1989, and shall, subject to the provisions of subsection (2), be deemed to have come into operation on 1 April 1989.
(2) Section 4 shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by the State President by proclamation in the Gazette.