This page needs to be proofread.
- (c) he is absent without the leave of the Speaker from every sitting of the Assembly for three consecutive meetings.
- (3) for the purposes of paragraph (c) of clause (2), "meeting" means any sitting or sittings of the Assembly commencing when the Assembly first meets after being summoned at any time and terminating when the Assembly is adjourned sine die or at the conclusion of a session.
Decision as to disqualification.
- 19. If any question arises whether the Speaker or a member of the Legislative Assembly has ceased to be qualified for appointment or election as such, the decision of the Assembly shall be taken and shall be final :
- Provided that this Article shall not be taken to prevent the practice of the Council postponing a decision in order to allow for the taking or determination of any proceedings that may affect the decision (including proceedings for the removal of the disqualification).
Penalty for unqualified person sitting or voting in the Legislative Assembly.
- 20. Any person who sits or votes in the Legislative Assembly, knowing or having reasonable ground for knowing that he is not entitled to do so, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding two hundred dollars for each day on which he so sits or votes, which penalty shall be recoverable as a civil debt in the High Court at the suit of the State Attorney-General.
Summoning, prorogation and dissolution of Legislative Assembly.
- 21. (1) The Yang di-Pertua Negara may from time to time summon the Legislative Assembly, and shall not allow six months to elapse between the last sitting in one session and the date appointed for its first sitting in the next session.
- (2) The Yang di-Pertua Negara may prorogue or dissolve the Legislative Assembly.
- (3) The Legislative Assembly shall, unless sooner dissolved, continue for five years from the date of its first sitting and shall then stand dissolved.
- (4) Whenever the Legislative Assembly is dissolved, a general election shall be held within sixty days from the date of the dissolution and the new Legislative Assembly shall be summoned to meet on a date not later than ninety days from that date.
- (5) Whenever the seat of an elected member has become vacant for any reason other than a dissolution, the vacancy shall, within sixty days from the date on which it is established that there is a vacancy, be filled by election in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.
Oath, of Speaker and members.
- 22. (1) The Speaker shall before exercising the functions of his office take and subscribe before the Yang di-Pertua Negara the oath set out in Part III of the Schedule and every member of the Legislative Assembly shall before taking his seat take and subscribe the said oath before the Speaker.